Tuesday, February 24, 2009

This NY Times story makes me sad and angry

Many Plans to Curtail Use of Plastic Bags, but Not Much Action

Why is the environment the first thing to go when money gets tight?

Humans are so short-sighted! Sure, it’s an inconvenience to people on a budget to have to pay a smidge more for using plastic bags at the grocery store. But that’s the whole point! If you don’t want to be charged, then bring a frickin’ tote bag! Maybe now is the perfect time to begin charging people who request plastic bags. If they really don’t want to pay extra, they will learn to bring their own bags.

And then they’ll see the immediate greatness of shopping in this manner: no more collection of plastic bags exploding from underneath your sink; the ease of slinging a tote bag over your shoulder instead of gathering heavy plastic bags around your wrist; the joy of knowing the next plastic bag you see decorating a tree branch is not your fault. I went to tote bags over a year ago, and I love love love the freedom from guilt. Sure, as an American consumer my actions are harming the environment in other ways, but at least I’m making changes where I can.

I know how hard it is to be on a budget, and I know that sometimes living in a socially and environmentally conscious way is more expensive. (I would love to be more of a locavore and decrease my carbon footprint, but for now, I just can’t afford to shop at farmers markets instead of at the discount produce stand.) But as I see it, even one person eschewing plastic bags in favor of something reusable can make an amazing difference, and all it has to cost is a one-time purchase of a bag, which you can get for $1 or less at most supermarkets these days.

For more info, please check out this extensive site: Reusable Bags.com.
.

6 comments:

Klaus Varley said...

You get the stink-eye at Trader Joe's if you DON'T bring your own bag...

Could this be a conspiracy by Jansport to sell more backpacks? Think about it...

ps. Where'd your oscar post go? I thought you'd have something to say after Milk won more Oscars than it should have, but resulted in some great speeches..

Matt said...

I guess I have a couple thoughts on this. First, the thing about reusable bags is that you have have them with you, and so if your roommate or partner calls and says y'all are out of eggs and bread and could you please pick some up on the way home, you're screwed. You have to either anticipate when you're going shopping, which sounds simple but isn't, or lug the bags around all the time. Second, this seems really simple for urban folk, but once you get out into the 'burbs or rural areas, you're probably buying more than you can carry at once, and even if you're just going to the car, you have to bind up your purchases some way or other. So, I'm not sure what the solution is. I should be more diligent about this myself, but even so, it seems like plastic bags are going to be around a while longer. What else can we do but go back to paper?

Carrie M said...

Yes, Matt, plastic bags are going to be around for a while. Like forever! (Get it, because they don't biodegrade? Ha ha.)

I think even people in the burbs should not be buying more than they can carry. Who needs that much stuff? If you have a family, bring several bags and make your kids carry them out to the car, or put the dang bags in a cart and push them out. (Ah, remember those days? Shopping carts and cars? Weird.)

If you have a purse like me, you can keep bags in there. My mom gave me one that scrunches up itty bitty so it's no problem. If you're out and need a bunch of stuff, fine, use a plastic bag that day. At least you will have largely reduced your consumption. Or, as I sometimes do, pay like 70 cents for another reusable bag. Or plan your purchasing timing better.

These are all good questions, Matt, but not insurmountable problems. It's just a matter of people changing their habits.

That said, I just bought something while out at lunch and required a plastic bag. I am going to hell.

Andy said...

Second, this seems really simple for urban folk, but once you get out into the 'burbs or rural areas, you're probably buying more than you can carry at once, and even if you're just going to the car, you have to bind up your purchases some way or other.

You can carry more reusable bags inside one reusable bag! Magic! I carry a resuable shopping bag with me all the time, inside my messenger bag that I carry around with me all the time. Also, a collapsible tupperware in case I need to doggybag it without the doggybag.

Carrie M said...

Yay, Andy! You're such a West Coast hippie! :)

Laura said...

A lot of grocery stores here have special promotions occasionally where they give out reusable shopping bags for free. I keep one in my car, and one at work. I have a hard time throwing anything away, so before I got those bags, I saved literally every plastic bag I brought stuff home in, and ended up with a closet exploding from plastic bags. The reusable bags have cut down on this problem. I still have too many leftover plastic bags though.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness