I’ve never really thought much about Lent. I found it odd as a kid that some people would give up Hershey bars or Mountain Dew for forty days. Suddenly though, I find myself intrigued by the ideas of concentrated abstinence from a vice, and purification of the body and soul through fasting. I like these terms: “It is known in Eastern Orthodox circles as the season of ‘Bright Sadness.’ It is a season of sorrowful reflection…” I think we all, even those traditionally secular of us, could benefit from a period of cleansing and reflection.
… A period of cleansing and reflection culminating in a feast of Cadbury Crème Eggs! Yay!
… A period of cleansing and reflection culminating in a feast of Cadbury Crème Eggs! Yay!
Photo of lotus blossom by *Toshio* on Flickr.
1 comments:
For the last two years, I've given up sugar (meaning, anything with refined sugar or corn syrup) for Lent, just because I like the discipline of it. The structure it gives your week is really reassuring. Plus, it gives me something to look forward to on Sundays, now that our football season is over.
Post a Comment