After I saw this movie last night, I have no choice but to issue one last award for a film that came out in 2008:Most Romantic Movie:
Wall-E
Seriously. Those robots are freaking cute. Holy lord.
.
After I saw this movie last night, I have no choice but to issue one last award for a film that came out in 2008:
From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness
5 comments:
I call shenanigans!
On what? Go make your own awards list, Mr. Critical!
But part of the fun of awards is complaining about them!
What kind of insane people have been clamoring to make Wall-E the Best Picture of 2008? Not only does it lack any humans on screen (with one cameo exception), but its plot revolves around humans who are less "animated" and interesting than robots. I'm not saying the movie isn't adorable; I'm saying it lacks the kind of humanity we associate with great movies. It's not enough to sit in a dark studio and willfully build a work of art, pixel by pixel, one frame at a time. A "best picture" should capture some of the real life that swirls around us, as fickle and imperfect and hard to swallow as it may be. The makers of Wall-E, and those who wanted it to win best picture (see articles in Time, USA Today, NYMag, and others) would have us believe that craftsmanship alone is the highest virtue in art. (*Ahem!* *Robots!*) What about improvisation? What about serendipity? What about the sight of a human face?
Fred Willard is not enough human for you?
Post a Comment