
There is a moment in my mornings when the train emerges from the tunnel in Brooklyn onto the Manhattan Bridge. Creamy pale sunshine bursts through the windows, lighting the dingy subway interior and sleepy people. I raise my eyes from my book where they’ve been focused, or the floor where they’ve been unfocused, and gaze out at the city.
I see cars creeping and barges tugging and realize there’s a world going on out there. The internal shifts to the external. Smoke plumes from Staten Island factories behind Lady Liberty and then the sightline fills with vivid graffiti on Chinatown rooftops.
But it’s that first moment of luminescence and expansion that I adore. I wish I could capture that little burst of gladness and carry it with me the rest of the day.
But it’s that first moment of luminescence and expansion that I adore. I wish I could capture that little burst of gladness and carry it with me the rest of the day.
Photo by Chris van Diemen on Flickr.
.
3 comments:
This is all poetic and stuff...
Shut up, Klaus.
An argument for living in Brooklyn if ever there was one.
Post a Comment