Friday, February 6, 2009

In today's America, all reading is good reading

I had a friend yesterday ask if she should read the “Twilight” series, because she doesn’t know how she feels about it. My first thought was that perhaps she was worried what people on the subway would think if they saw her reading it.

Then this morning I watched a stout middle-aged man sit down across from me reading “New Moon” by Stephenie Meyer. On the next train, there was a thirty-some guy reading “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.” And you know what? Good for them!

My new feeling is that people should proudly read whatever they want, and us literary snobs should applaud them for doing something other than listening to their iPods and staring blandly into space.

I now feel less embarrassed about having read Narnia’s “Voyage of the Dawn Treader” on the subway a few weeks back. Read whatever you want and don’t feel like you need to hide it behind The Economist!

Unless it’s “The Secret.” There’s just no excuse for that.
.

6 comments:

Vladkin said...

The other day at Target I overheard a woman proudly proclaim that she had discovered the most amazing book--THE SECRET! And then I wept for her.

Vladkin said...

Also, I loved the TWILIGHT books--except for the last one where my pro-choice instincts kicked in hardcore. And I've had to defend my liking of these books--stomaching responses such as, "Well, _my_ tastes don't run _that_ juvenile, I suppose."

Carrie M said...

Whatever. Some of the best books are YA or younger, and I feel like the Harry Potter phenomenon broke down the wall so that adults can amble over to "kids'" books and feel okay about it.

Anonymous said...

You love stout middle aged men

Brian Hurley said...

Surely there are shades of gray here.

Reading > not reading.

Reading at your ability level > reading way below your ability level.

Reading a whole mess of things from all over the map, including stuff for kids, stuff for Greeks, stuff for pharmacists, stuff for Semiotics professors, and stuff for celebrity athletes > picking from the same shelf every time.

Klaus Varley said...

To Brian's post, I would add:

Most Books > Most Animated Movies > Most Movies > Most Music > Most TV Shows > Most Food > Most Coffee Shops > Most "Art" in Museums > Most Sporting Events > Most Bars > Most Board Games > Most Games of Rock-Paper-Scissors...and so on...

AND

Rereading really good "children's" books because you can get so much more out of them now, like The Missing Piece Meets the Big O > Reading an "adult" book (like anything by Thomas Pynchon) you're supposed to understand but don't understand and are starting to think no one understands but no one wants to admit they don't understand

FINALLY

The Wire > Most Books

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness