
There's, as you know, a flurry of e-mails, Facebook postings, and comments about the US Airways plane that just crash-landed in the Hudson River.
1) Most importantly, no, my boyfriend, who IS on a plane right now, was not on that flight. Whew. Not to say the initial headlines didn't give me a heart attack.
2) I've been hearing an awful lot of sirens for the past hour, and I imagine it could be emergency vehicles going to or from the river and the big hospital down the street from my office.
3) Those poor people! It's already one of the coldest days of the winter (wind chill near zero), and now they have been dunked in the river! My god!
4) If I still worked at Penguin I could see the crash site from someone's office, or have walked a block to the river and seen it.
5) I read a story not two days ago trumpeting how no major airlines have had a crash in a few years. At the time I thought, "Way to jinx it." And I was right.
6) Yesterday I read a short story by Margaret Atwood about a crash landing in water. So maybe I jinxed it.
7) Jinxing or no, I hope everyone's okay and they get to a hospital and get some hot chocolate soon.
8) Good updates on Gothamist.
.
6 comments:
Everybody save, all is well, pretty amazing! Three cheers for that pilot.
Safe! Good grief!
That would have been way cooler if he WERE on that plane. He would be semi-famous and have an awesome story to tell for the rest of his life.
Those people were incredibly lucky. If that plane had gone down in the ocean or on land they would all be dead. There could be no more perfect place for engine failure.
It is too bad there is no video of the landing. I thought New York had cameras everywhere.
I know! This has got to be one of the most photographed plane crashes (what with millions of people with clear views of it on both sides of the river), but they are mostly after the fact. No fun.
I've seen a still photo of the plane coming down as if for a landing, just on the Hudson instead of a runway.
BTW It was not a "plane crash". It was a "water landing". Every time You fly they say, "In the event of a water landing...", and people sneer because that is ridiculous and obviously not survivable. I guess we all stand corrected. If you happen to be low, slow, near a big river, and land right in front of rescuers you are good to go.
Post a Comment