Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Congratulations to the 44th President. Yay, America!


I don’t really have a lot of time to blog today, but I can’t let this moment go without commenting on how proud, inspired, uplifted, and hopeful I feel after watching President Barack Hussein Obama’s oath of office and speech this afternoon. I know some of this blog’s readers find us Obama supporters naïve, but I hope that for this one day we can all rejoice at the tremendous progress the country has made to even have elected an individual from such a background, and that we can agree that America is poised to become a better world leader and caretaker of its citizens.

Other notes:

- Watching the all the Obamas at the inauguration today, they are just so cute I could eat them up. :)

- That poem at after Obama’s speech was TERRIBLE. Honestly.

-Yo-Yo Ma, et al, kicked ass though. That song was perfect.

- I hope all my friends who traveled from afar to D.C. this weekend are having an amazing experience, getting close enough to see something, and not getting trampled.

- Unlike many of the people I know, I feel that Bush deserves our respect as he exits the office. It’s far too easy to blow raspberries and wish him good riddance and not give a thought to the unthinkable decisions he’s had to make over the past eight years. I feel kind of sorry for the guy.

Cheers to the next four years!!! May all our lives be just a little better, as long as we work to make them so, too.
.

11 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

Ever since I saw the movie "W." I've been kind of fascinated with Bush in his lion-in-winter phase. I tell you what: like a frat boy who can't wait to become a senior, W. is going to enjoy the hell out of being an ex-president. A big pension, worldwide fame, and all the free time in the world. I bet he's pretty stoked right now.

lectrice said...

And he's not even going to have to spend that time (ostensibly) clearing brush! He's off to the high life in Dallas. Ah, sweet freedom...

Vladkin said...

Can I just say that I'd like to adopt the elderly fellow whose name I can't recall who spoke toward the end? Can someone help me out and tell me who he was so I can get my paperwork processed? We all nearly fell off our chairs when he started his color rhyme. :)

Klaus Varley said...

Few blow raspberries at all these days, I'm afraid, at ex-Presidents or otherwise.

Carrie M said...

Kari: The Reverend Joseph Lowery is one of the original civil rights leaders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Lowery

Vladkin said...

Thanks, C!

PassingPerception said...

It is a sad time for our country when style and blatantly disingenuous promises win out over common sense, lessons from history, and a need to drastically reduce government, restore freedoms, and allow productivity. You cannot get out of a recession by purposely going vastly deeper into debt and giving even more power to a government that is already far too large and out of control. It is the absolute opposite of what we need. Obama is obviously an insincere salesman and a typically self-serving politician. If he really wanted to be different he could have spent that huge amount of money for the inauguration week on helping those in need, or just not spent it at all. It angers me to see him smiling when he is promising to do things that will damage our country severely and make it even more difficult for our economy to recover. Don't even get me started on Pelosi or some of the other horrible "leaders" we have. These are some truly terrible people to have running our country. We can do much better. Once again, just for the record, I am not a Republican.

Carrie M said...

Steven, your points are valid. I do think, though, that you should like Obama because he reveres scientific principles as opposed to being led by his God.

(http://www.nytimes.com/2009
/01/22/us/politics/
22science.html?ref=science)

And also, I am not swayed by his "style" but by the remarkable substance of what he says and the actions he takes to back it up.

Klaus Varley said...

PP trying to start something without anything to back it up!

And I thought this was a new year...

Two things:

1. Please finish "Freedom from Fear" before you claim knowledge of history, especially concerning economic crises in the US.

2. Check out this little site called http://www.whitehouse.gov/ which looks to me like something called "transparency," which I believe was something he promised...

I agree that so much money shouldn't be spent on inaugurations. However, this has gotten way too much press - Obama spent about the same as Bush. This shouldn't even be a story. This thing called the Iraq war costs a little (trillions) more.

As for Obama being "disingenuous" and "insincere," how do you know? Gut feeling?

Obama is already making good on his promises (transparency-website, reaching across the isle-meeting with repubs)

I think Bush is sincere. He seems to (wrongly) believe he did a good job as Pres. Yet, I can't prove that he believes it, so you'll just have to trust me. It's a gut feeling.

Sorry, this is too long! I'm supposed to be writing scripts or trying to get on a reality show or something else we do in LA...

Shawna said...

Something I'm happy about: Obama just lifted the "global gag rule"! http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090123/ pl_nm/us_obama_abortion

Laura said...

Re Shawna's comment: I just read that too. Awesome! I'm pleased that Obama is getting down to business so quickly undoing all the various messes that Bush made.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness