There’s so much online commentary and virtual hand-wringing over today’s Oscar nominations announcement that you don’t need to hear my two cents.
But it’s my blog and I’m going to give you at least one-and-a-half pence. A shilling? Maybe a guilder or two.
Thanks to Brian for pointing me to the critic’s take in the SF Chronicle: “Don't count on 'Milk' bringing home the statue.” I basically agree, so go read him instead of me and then come back.
Back now? Okay, let me just say I’m shocked that “Milk” even got the nominations it did. I thought surely the fact that I’m such a fan of the movie (read: waited months for it to come out, wholeheartedly cried at least twice during it, and was inspired and moved like I rarely am) meant that the Academy would hate it. But they liked it!
Not nearly so much as they liked “Slumdog Millionaire” and “Benjamin Button,” though, and therein lies the problem. I suspect that these two films are not worth the number of nods they received. Have I seen them? No. But that does not prevent me from having opinions on them, from reading reviews and getting firsthand accounts from friends. I’m sure they are fine films, but are remarkably overrated.
Meanwhile, “Revolutionary Road,” which I did see, got zippo major nominations. Not for the brilliant acting jobs by both Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, nor for the loving, stark, and faithful adaptation of the novel. Seems the voters were attracted by the flashy colors of “Slumdog” and hit by the kneejerk, guilty admiration for a Holocaust film in “The Reader,” and overlooked this wonderful bit of cinema.
P.S. We all know Robert Downey, Jr., is awesome, but a nomination for “Tropic Thunder?” Really? Huh.
Okay, that’s my three bits, five drachmas. Feel free to argue amongst yourselves.
But it’s my blog and I’m going to give you at least one-and-a-half pence. A shilling? Maybe a guilder or two.
Thanks to Brian for pointing me to the critic’s take in the SF Chronicle: “Don't count on 'Milk' bringing home the statue.” I basically agree, so go read him instead of me and then come back.
Back now? Okay, let me just say I’m shocked that “Milk” even got the nominations it did. I thought surely the fact that I’m such a fan of the movie (read: waited months for it to come out, wholeheartedly cried at least twice during it, and was inspired and moved like I rarely am) meant that the Academy would hate it. But they liked it!Not nearly so much as they liked “Slumdog Millionaire” and “Benjamin Button,” though, and therein lies the problem. I suspect that these two films are not worth the number of nods they received. Have I seen them? No. But that does not prevent me from having opinions on them, from reading reviews and getting firsthand accounts from friends. I’m sure they are fine films, but are remarkably overrated.
Meanwhile, “Revolutionary Road,” which I did see, got zippo major nominations. Not for the brilliant acting jobs by both Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, nor for the loving, stark, and faithful adaptation of the novel. Seems the voters were attracted by the flashy colors of “Slumdog” and hit by the kneejerk, guilty admiration for a Holocaust film in “The Reader,” and overlooked this wonderful bit of cinema.
P.S. We all know Robert Downey, Jr., is awesome, but a nomination for “Tropic Thunder?” Really? Huh.Okay, that’s my three bits, five drachmas. Feel free to argue amongst yourselves.
2 comments:
Where's THE DARK KNIGHT love? At LEAST for writing and directing, if not best picture.
I'm not even a fanboy who saw it the night of its release in Gotham city...not that there's anything wrong with that. Seriously.
I agree on Slumdog. I saw it, thoroughly enjoyed it and am still happy about the whole premise, acting, etc., but there is no way it's as good at the Academy is pretending. I refuse to see Benjamin Button. I also refuse to believe it's anywhere near worthy of 13 nods. I did see Tropic Thunder, and upon leaving the theater, turned to my friend and said, "If Robert Downey, Jr. doesn't get an Oscar nomination for that role, then there is no justice in the world." So I'm happy to report that there is indeed justice. Which is nice to know.
I agree that Dark Knight got shafted, Klaus. The Batman film franchise is pretty hit or miss as far as I'm concerned, but that was a fine, fine piece of cinema.
Eff the Academy.
Post a Comment