Usually I mock CNN headlines because they are ludicrously sensationalistic or remarkably lowbrow. (Yes, today is my day of adverbs ending in -ly—shut up.) But there's one up currently that I must point out is just factually incorrect. To make myself feel better.
What? *choke snortle!* Everyone knows that sea caves are caves and not caverns! There's totally a humungo difference. C'mon CNN. I'm not letting you get away with this one. What, are your editors busy with stories about the killing of innocent children in Gaza or something?
I, as an uppity former tour guide at an actual limestone cavern, will not stand for this nonsense.
≠
But speaking of cave-averns, check out this amazing one in Mexico with giganctic, ancient crystals that was just featured in National Geographic. Awesome.



6 comments:
I is smrter then CNN, too.
I thought caves were pretty cool, until I visited Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. It was great, with presentations at intervals to point out cave features, and then the guide led us to this big area deep in the cave and had us sit down on benches there.
Then they turned out all the lights.
It was the blackest pitch black I've ever experienced. I'd never quite understood the phrase "the darkness pressing in on you" until that moment. You couldn't even see your hand inches in front of your face! Haven't been a huge fan of caves since.
Oh, Shawna, I wish you could have come on one of my tours. :) I think all cavern tours everywhere employ this trick to wow and/or scare the crap out of the visitors. On ours, we'd take you to this little tiny chamber and light four candles on a paddleboard to demonstrate what it would have been like to have been an early visitor, seeing the eeriness of the formations illuminated in a dim flickering glow. Then one by one I'd blow them out ... until we reached ... TOTAL DARKNESS! Mwah ha ha!!!
In the few moments I had before some kid started screaming or some claustro began hyperventilating, I'd make them wave their hands in front of their face to prove they could see nothing. Other tour guides would then tell the group to put their thumbs on their noses and wiggle their fingers, at which point the guide would flip on the lights and make everyone look silly.
But my tours had class. :)
Those guys look like little Dozers. I love it when life imitates the Fraggles.
Omigod, you're totally right! Here I thought Jim Henson was being creative, but he was just channeling theretofore unknown knowledge of a secret cavern in Mexico! Astounding.
Those crystals are amazing. Wow. You would think maybe that guy should not be STANDING on them.
Post a Comment