Hey, I've been vegetarian for two months now! That means two months without any animals dying directly for my consumption.Sweet.
(Disclaimer: While I am proud and excited about my new veggie ways, this in no way means that I insist that anyone else among my friends and family follow my lead. Unless you want to. So don't get all angry at me in the comments for wanting to celebrate my new lifestyle.)
6 comments:
Wootie woot.
I would be glad to hug a vegetarian, but she probably wouldn't want to share the terrific steak I had for Easter dinner.
I am happy for you. Good job.
Like I said, I just need to find more foods I like to replace the meat. Soy is not a food. Neither is lettuce. I will keep looking.
I have nothing at all against being a vegetarian. It is the vegetarians that annoy the hell out of me. Like my old neighbor who wouldn't eat free pizza I bought because the slices on her side had been NEAR meat. sigh As long as you don't act like that or throw blood on people we are cool.
I really do think it is messed up that we harass and abuse other animals, either for meat or amusement. You saw my Thanksgiving post a while back. Do you still eat things that come FROM animals like dairy and eggs?
Are you a halfway vegetarian that thinks, for instance, "It's ok to eat fish because they don't have any feelings." or all the way? I am curious and have a lot of questions. I always wanted to use that lyric in a sentence. Eighteen years later, mission accomplished.
Also, just say NO to circus animals, rodeo, horseback riding, bull fighting, dog fighting, cock fighting, greyhound racing, inbred dogs and cats, always indoor cats, birds in cages, pony rides at fairs, factory farmed animals, and catch and release fishing. Seriously.
I am however still trying to figure out what I would do without cheese. hm.
Yay for you, Steven! It's awesome to be an animal lover, and it's weird that so many people can distance themselves so much from the source of their food that they basically are in denial about the cute fuzzy animal (and sentient being) they are eating.
But no proselytizing here! I did want to answer your question. I am mostly vegan, although I didn't originally intend to be. It's just that once you stop eating meat (of all kinds, yes, for me) it feels weird to still be eating other animal products. Eggs are people, too! :) Plus, the dairy industry is terrible for the environment and uses reprehensible farming practices.
So, I'm trying to avoid eggs and dairy. It's pretty easy, actually, because everything in world these days has a vegan version that tastes as good or better, if different, than non-vegan versions. I always said the cheese would be my hang-up, too, but vegan cheese is really not bad (made from soy or rice milk, usually). I even saw vegan jerky the other day!
There's a lot I could say, but basically, it hasn't been a gigantic change in my eating, except I'm eating even more delicious fruits and veggies, and fun stuff like almond milk and seitan (a wheat protein that tastes a lot like meat). But I never feel any guilt or grossness about what I'm eating! It's awesome!
(And Mama, I think even you would have loved the vegan cookies, cupcakes, and cheesecake I've made. I never really loved steak all that much anyway, so it's not a huge loss for me, and I still love people who do.) :)
The steak is not a problem to do without, but I do eat a lot of chicken(s). Maybe I could try more of that soy crap and just put tons of sauce and spices on it like I do everything else anyway.
I don't think eggs are people.
And I think about fish when I eat them. I think, "Gotcha, fish!"
We're at war with the fishes, and the only way to win is to keep eating sushi.
Post a Comment