The Man (read: the government) recently decided that us poor folks would have to purchase digital converter boxes as all channels went digital instead of analog. So I did that, and even though the deadline for conversion has been pushed back, I’ve been using the new digital thingamajig. Some thoughts.
* Omg! When stations are coming in, they have no fuzz, no snow--they are clear as a bell.
* Great. Because here’s the thing: If there are any adverse weather conditions, like a breeze, a drizzle, a frown of a cloud, the signal does not come in at all!
* Also, it takes a good 12 seconds when you flip from one channel to the next to see if it will come in. That’s eons in TV-flipping time.
I do, though, in addition to the networks and PBS, now get these channels:*a couple of religious channels, but not nearly as entertaining as the ones I got in SB.
* three Korean language channels

* two Chinese language channels (which mostly play footage of pseudo-teens dancing around to pop music)
* the “Future” channel, which is always black, frighteningly.
*a channel that cycles between various traffic cameras around the city. This is, seriously, sometimes the best thing on TV.
My verdict on the digital conversion: 9 thumbs down. I don’t have nine thumbs but I’m borrowing a few from the other poor kids who must be ticked off about this development.
BTW, I would get cable, but you apparently can’t purchase it without also buying Internet access and a landline. Ew. This post was created on stolen wireless and I haven’t had a landline since 2001. So no danke.
4 comments:
"The Man [...] recently decided that us poor folks would have to purchase digital converter boxes [...] So I did that."
Actually, I did that.
But you can definitely borrow my thumbs for a mega 11 thumbs down!
Merci for the shout-out, Carrie. I'll let you borrow both my thumbs. I'll even throw in both my big toes. I can't even get Fox consistently anymore... that's just sad.
Did you all buy decent digital antennas or are you trying to use some left over thing meant for analog?
Carolyn, check this out.
https://www.whitefence.com/WebObjects/WhiteFence.woa/wo/2.0.11.25.1.5.2.1.1.11.0?409614021
Sadly, even with a good digital antenna, I have trouble sometimes--interference from apartments above, below, beside, and behind mine. Plus, LGA's not too far from my place. I'll lend my thumbs to the cause. What are we at now? 15 thumbs down?
Interesting that you get Korean and Chinese channels, Carolyn--I'm picking up all the Spanish-language channels up in Queens. Proximity to the Bronx, maybe?
Post a Comment