
On Monday night I went to the Metropolitan Opera for the first time thanks to a birthday gift from Robert, and the performance was stellar—"Don Giovanni," a slightly silly but gorgeously sung and orchestrated opera. It's a retelling of the Don Juan story with music by Mozart.
Almost more impressive than the show, however, was the opera house itself. The mid-century building's high, arched windows sweep into a massive space of red velvet walls and crystal starburst lights. And yes, people do still dress for the opera, even on a Monday. Roving amid the smartly dressed older couples enjoying cocktails beneath gigantic Chagall paintings made me feel like I was attending some swanky party. It's really about the whole experience, I see.



2 comments:
I remember my visit to the MET last year for La Boheme. It really is a stunning building, inside and out. Kind of magical, really.
I was there for the first time last week! But we saw different shows apparently.
Post a Comment