Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Something there is that doesn’t love the past


Even when I discovered in undergrad that all the cool kids were reading more avant-garde poetry, I couldn’t get over my love of Robert Frost. I memorized “The Road Not Taken” in fourth grade, as many of us did, and it remained with me to my senior year of college, when a professor who was an eminent Frost scholar helped me look anew at the stodgy old New England poet.

This is all preface to my utter disgust at the fact that some useless youths in Vermont recently desecrated a farmhouse used by Frost for more than two decades, as was reported in the Times. (Please look past the purple prose—this is Dan Barry, after all.)

Frost aside, this is a lovely place, with obvious historical value, and I can’t imagine how any kids could behave in such a manner. It’s unfathomable to me.

Photo by Ángel Franco/The New York Times

7 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

Those kids really stopped by woods on a snowy evening, didn't they?

Brian Hurley said...

Some say the world will end in fire. Some say in ice. I say it's a bunch of kids with a keg and a beer bong.

Carrie M said...

Thanks, Brian. So, so many bad uses of Robert Frost titles are possible here. I actually saw a NJ newspaper column with this headline: "Two roads diverge — and teen vandals choose to travel the wrong one". Wow.

Vladkin said...

That's so sad. Why do people feel the need to desecrate things like that? Perhaps what society needs are specially designated desecration spaces where destructive tendencies are catered to sans repercussion. Like an amusement park, only you get to destroy houses and statues and throw rocks through windows to your heart's content. All for the price of admission. And going back to the environmental preservation post the other day... why not specially designed virtual family zones? For those who can't procreate, aren't in a position to adopt, or feel the urge to breed beyond one or two children. You can spend a day with your dream spawn and in the process, your babymaking urges will be sated for a while.

Brian Hurley said...

Good suggestions, Kari, and I think it's time for you to post your home address for all to see.

Matt said...

Perhaps what society needs are specially designated desecration spaces where destructive tendencies are catered to sans repercussion.

Like CivilWarLand!

Vladkin said...

Is it time for me to read that book, Matt?

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness