Tuesday, January 15, 2008

On the other hand…

…at least I don’t work construction.

One unfortunate man was killed yesterday (possibly decapitated) in a 42-story fall from the top of the Trump Soho building two blocks from my office. Last month another worker was sliced in half in a 47-story fall from a Midtown building. I include the gory details to highlight how gruesome these accidents were. In both cases there were prior warnings about hazardous working conditions that were ignored. Obviously, we need better safety standards, or adherence to existing standards (and policing thereof), for the ubiquitous and constant construction projects around Manhattan.

Remind me to tell you how my great-grandfather, Peter Morrisroe, almost died in a collapse during construction of the Holland Tunnel that killed several other laborers. He told his wife he had a bad feeling that day and stayed home from work. (Oh wait, I just told you.)

Some things never change. Except the Morrisroes now prefer to work indoors, where it’s presumably safer. Sadly, not everyone is so lucky.

Latest Gothamist post, with links

Photo of the site of the Trump Soho accident by Riccardo Sinti.
I would have taken a picture myself at lunch today, but I forgot my camera cable.

4 comments:

PassingPerception said...

Wow, that is pleasant. I just thought I would read your blog to cheer me up before more work.

Carrie M said...

Sorry! It's just that kind of day.

Anonymous said...

Then again, the other guy (there were two of them) that fell the 47 stories survived! Miraculous, right?

Carrie M said...

Yes! It was the guy's brother, I think. And they say he'll be fine. Very strange.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness