I’m highly disappointed that we did not get the snowfall last night that we were promised. Ever since I was a girl I’ve considered snow to be the only good thing about this season. When it snowed in Murphys I squealed with glee while my mother grumbled about falling tree branches and slippery road conditions.Now, snow is the only thing that enlivens these gloomy East Coast winters. But this morning, instead of a glittery coating of white, New York labors under a dark gray sky. I am jealous of Boston, which got the snowflakes that we didn’t. School closings and shoveling and trudging down unplowed roads—fun!
On the other hand, there’s a forecasted high of 72 today in Santa Barbara, where I lived for eight long, winter-free years before I moved east. That's just weird.
All I ask is for one good storm this year so I can make snow angels and clobber Repino in snow football. Is that too much, or do I have to move back to Beantown?
Update, 4:45 pm: I'm not the only one who was misled by the forecasters. Gothamist agrees.)
(Photo of snow in Boston this morning. By George Rizer/Boston Globe.)
4 comments:
Yeah, you're going to have to move back to Beantown for a decent snow, Carolyn! The last really great snow we had here was in January 2005 (my first winter here in NYC), when we got a blizzard and the snow was knee-high.
Since then? Hardly anything to write home about-- very disappointing! :(
Keep your snow chucks at the ready.
I was in Boston for that same storm, Shawna, and it was the most fantastic time ever. A real blizzard--the whole city shut down! Ah, those were the days.
I hold out hope for a massively destructive snowstorm here.
Robert, your chucks have cursed us. I think they're the real cause of global warming.
I agree, that was a fantastic snow! That's what I expected when I moved up north here, but I've been disillusioned: for the last year or so, NYC has gotten pretty much the same weather patterns as East Tennessee, believe it or not!
Post a Comment