Tomorrow we'll discuss how the plurality of you poll voters say you are tired of superhero movies. Were you not part of the nine billion people who went to see "The Dark Knight" opening weekend? Or were you like me, waiting all summer for that one movie, and now that you’ve seen it your thirst for heroic, caped, action flicks is quenched?I’m already hankering for the subtle, intelligent dramas that light up the marquees during the fall movie season, jockeying for Oscar nominations. Or perhaps it’s just that I’d rather have an anvil dropped on my noggin than see “Pineapple Express.”
7 comments:
I think when Seth Rogen movies are subtitled for foreign countries, they just reduce all of his lines to: "I'm unattractive, but I still want to be with women!" Because if you listen closely, that's all he ever says.
I never get tired of blow-em-up movies. A good explosion is always a thrill. Smoke, fake blood, can't beat 'em. Actually I am looking forward to the new Mummy movie. Okay, so it has smoke and fake blood.
I saw Pineapple Express (roommate had free preview tix), and couldn't advise you enough not to see it. Blah to the Max. I am, however, excited for the new James Bond movie, The Watchmen flick, and...uh...well...the Star Trek prequel. But those won't be released any time soon.
I'm TOTALLY seeing Pineapple Express. Potheads + Hitmen = Funny. I like Apatow and Rogan--I'm not ashamed to say they make me laugh. Besides, David Gordon Green directed this one, and he also directed George Washington, which Matt and I saw last weekend. The guy seems to like changing it up and I'm interested to see what he does here. And also, there's the Freaks and Geeks connection. I'm sold...although I may have to Netflix on account of me being po'.
See, here's the thing. I love David Gordon Green 4evah because he directed All the Real Girls. I'm even willing to pretend he did not direct that total piece of crap where the kid steps on the nail for no reason and there's an uncle who chases them around looking for coins... blah.
Plus stoner hitmen rock. Witness Lock Stock, etc. So I'm in for Pineapple Express*. I also want to see some good fall movies. Is that so wrong?
*I have somehow managed to be one of 24 people in America who have not seen Seth Rogen in a movie as yet. The others are homebound and blind. And don't watch movies.
I have to agree with "mama" and disagree with david boring green, or whatever his name is. It's not everyday you get to see explosions and copious amounts of blood.
Unless you're a doctor on 4th of July. I know, bad joke.
Lastly Letrice, Lock Stock didn't have stoner hitmen. It had hitmen. It had stoners. But they were not the same. Pulp Fiction is much the same. Will have to see this "etc" to see what you are talking about.
I elect to employ the "close enough" defense in this case. Vincent Vega engages in drug use fairly frequently throughout Pulp Fiction, although, granted, I'm not entirely sure that he's ever smoking pot.
There is always "I Love You to Death". Which does not exactly rock, but does feature William Hurt and Keanu Reeves as stoner hitmen. I blame Reeves for its lack of critical acclaim. (There is also "2 Hitmen", which I found by googling stoner hitmen. It looks really, really, really bad.)
Can we call it a draw, Eric?
Post a Comment