Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"But there are bugs in the garden, dahling!"

I am all for locally grown produce and CSAs. But this is disgusting.

A Locally Grown Diet With Fuss but No Muss

People, the soil will not hurt you. Get off your plush cushions, stick your hands down in the dirt, and see how good it feels. Honestly. I am beyond irritated by the concept of yuppies who can't be bothered to water their own cucumbers and pick their own tomatoes. What has the world come to? Bougie people need serfs to harvest for them?

At the same time, I suppose it's not that different from hiring day laborers to mow their lawns or turning a blind eye to the working conditions of immigrants in the agricultural fields. But this is just really the epitome of laziness. The idea of being so disconnected from nature frightens me. They don't know what a rewarding experience they are missing.

Boo.

Photo of Trevor Paque at work in San Francisco in a garden his company planted in a client’s backyard. By Peter DaSilva for The New York Times.

2 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

I should move to the country and have some farmer hire me to use his computer.

PassingPerception said...

Oh man. That article made me laugh. That is the laziest bullshit I have ever heard of. Imagine how guilty you would feel watching someone else tend your own garden. Unless you are paralyzed or over 90 there is really no excuse for that.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness