Thursday, July 10, 2008

This made me laugh.


An surprisingly amusing story on a high-fashion boutique in the NY Times Style section included this sentence:

“I first tried a black, shapeless cowl-neck shroud in silk jersey ($575), something I thought Tilda Swinton might wear triumphantly to the funeral of someone she had killed.”

Incidentally, the only reason I was interested in reading about the new Jil Sander store in the first place is not because I’m in the market for a $2,000 dress but because it took over space from an endearingly musty old library-ladder manufacturer that The Times profiled last month:

Ladders of Memory



While the story on the Jil Sander experience is entertaining, there is no way I’m entering a store like that where five pieces of clothing are hung miles away from each other with great care. The fewer items you are selling, the more they cost.

Jil Sander photo: Greg Scaffidi for The New York Times
Ladder company photo: Ruth Fremson/The New York Times

4 comments:

Andy said...

That store at top looks really cool. But not as cool as the new brick-and-glass Yohji Yamamoto store in the meatpacking district, which I dropped into when I was looking for a new bag and realized I was $1200 short on the one I liked. You should go check it out. It's like a museum. And the clothing's museum-quality, too, complete with unaffordable prices.

PassingPerception said...

The white store reminds me of that movie, THX 1138.

lectrice said...

I didn't really look at the picture of the new store until I'd looked at the picture of the old store and was all "Oh! Cool architectural details! I wonder what Jill's people did with them." Answer: Obliterated them. I hate snooty-pants clothing stores.

Klaus Varley said...

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Expensive-ass bags.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness