
I’ve been fascinated all weekend by the Gap Fire raging behind Goleta, Calif., my old home. Igniting on Tuesday, the fire has grown to almost 9,000 acres and continues to be the state’s No. 1 firefighting priority, according to the governor. While not a large blaze comparatively, and being one of almost 2,000 separate fires consuming land in California over the past two weeks, the Gap Fire is scary for its proximity to so many homes. (View above of fire from Stearns Wharf in Santa Barbara.)
And for me, it feels strange to be removed from a disaster striking a community I knew intimately for eight years.
The mandatory evacuation orders come to within a mile of two different apartments I lived in.

The fire began at the top of the ridge of mountains overlooking Goleta, Isla Vista, Ellwood, and UCSB, starting right at a spot called Lizard’s Mouth where I spent many hours hiking, reading, and daydreaming. (Photos below.)




Pretty much all the hills and canyons below this point have been burned, or are burning still.


In looking up the local news, it’s so eerie to see the names of roads, newscasters, and locations that have already become vague to me in my four years’ absence.
I just hope the weather starts cooperating and the firefighters can get a handle on this epic (to Santa Barbarans) blaze.

Good L.A. Times story: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-fires6-2008jul06,0,6152509.story
Photos from the L.A. Times, NY Times, various people on Flickr, and SB Hiking websites
10 comments:
As I sit here on Sunday afternoon the sky is once again orange. Not sure where the smoke is coming in from, but it could go away now. Just looking at the smoke pictures from Goleta is scary.
I was wondering about the evac orders...fortunately it's on the other side of the 101, but still all-too-close to my aunts' home. Are you in contact with anyone in the area? I haven't heard from my aunts to see how they are doing.
I have not been in touch with anyone, just reading a lot of news. The Independent has a really good website with updates. It seems like the evac orders only went as far into town as Cathedral Oaks Road, which runs behind Goleta and SB. And I know that recently they've contained that edge of the fire. Now, it's just bumping up against West Camino Cielo up on the ridge, and moving west and a bit east.
Your aunts have probably mostly been dealing with smoke and just general craziness.
I just emailed with Auntie M....she said that one of their friends who lives in the foothills was evacuated and stayed with them for the weekend. There's ash everywhere and Disaster Relief is handing out masks. Air quality is terrible right now. She and Kathy are loving the fact that there are fire fighters everywhere for them to see, though LOL
Eek! Wow. Evacuating is so much no fun, as many of us know. Best wishes their way!
More info - apparently UCSB was asked if they would allow space for setting up a base-camp and they straight-out refused. Seems like a poor PR move to me. It's not like they can't spare the room considering it's summer.
U Can Study Burned?
Yeah, I know they were putting people at San Marcos High School.
Nice Brian, very sensitive. What was UCSD's nickname?
U C San D.
Because it's very sandy there.
UCSD = Um, Can Someone Drive(to Mexico?)
That's all I got.
Post a Comment