Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Goleta fire news getting better



The Santa Barbara Independent has been running fantastic coverage of the Gap Fire, mostly thanks to the reporting and photography of Ray Ford. I know Ray—he’s a Santa Barbara hiking legend, intrepid explorer, manager of the volunteer trails association to which I belonged, and writer of all the best trailguides.

He took these photos yesterday up near West Camino Cielo near Lizard’s Mouth. As I said earlier, this whole area used to be my favorite place to escape my life down on the coast, recline upon the sandstones, and receive nourishment and perspective.




I am saddened by the moonscape look of things, but not so much as I would be if it were a beloved forest that had been blackened. The land is pretty stark up there already, mostly dry, thorny chaparral. The sandstones will survive, I believe. It’s not their first fire. And I hope that someday I can go back up there to see the damage and the eventual renewal.

Today’s story in the Indy.

8 comments:

Klaus Varley said...

This is really sad.

Sunny said...

The good news is that people are returning to their homes, although cautiously. They aren't sure if they will be evacuated again or not.

Carrie M said...

Seriously, E, do you remember when we drove up on that ridge with Teddy Nutmeg and almost got killed by a crazy driver? Good times.

Klaus Varley said...

E? I remember the ridge, but I don't remember almost getting killed. I remember Ted climbed some chimney and just sat on top...for a long time. That's what you do in SB, I guess.

Carrie M said...

You were the crazy driver. You've probably blocked it out. At any rate, that's all on fire now. Whee!

Sunny said...

Hey Carrie- I thought that you would appreciate this photo of the Gap Fire.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
Sun--

Carrie M said...

Oh man, that's cool. Here's an updated link now that they've archived that image, if anyone else wants to see it.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080709.html

PassingPerception said...

Those second and third fire photos are beautiful, peaceful, and other-worldly.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness