Thursday, July 24, 2008

A question

Why is it that every busker with a brass instrument in this city plays the theme song from “The Godfather”?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please define "busker" for the rural and uninformed.

Carrie M said...

It's a sweet word. Means someone who performs an instrument for money on the street. Neat, huh?

Matt said...

Probably the same reason ever busker with a melodica plays "La Cucuracha." Annoying.

Anonymous said...

I wonder where it came from. I can't figure out any couple of words that would slush together to be busker.

lectrice said...

It's actually a word in its own right. Busking used to mean to sell things in bars. (You know, like those guys who go around selling single roses?).

I hate the pan flute guys who play Simon and Garfunkle songs. Hate. My friend Deb just came back from Peru with a CD she bought of "authentic" Peruvian flute music. Half of it is S&G.

Carrie M said...

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

"Earlier, to be an itinerant performer, probably from busk, to go about seeking, cruise as a pirate, perhaps from obsolete French busquer, to prowl, from Italian buscare, to prowl, or Spanish buscar, to seek, from Old Spanish boscar."

I like words.

Anonymous said...

So they are seeking, prowling pirates. Interesting.

PassingPerception said...

Before I clicked to this page I was going to say I didn't know what a busker was. Nevermind. Thank you everyone.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness