Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmaswatch '07


Leave it to someone in the West Village to take Christmas decorating to a whole new level. I spotted this on my lunch hour while strolling around the historic neighborhood of quiet, brownstone-lined streets. In the past, due to its cheap rents and easygoing spirit, this area harbored writers and artists—personalities such as Bret Harte, Louisa May Alcott, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Dylan Thomas.

Now, these homes have been converted into $3,000-a-month one-bedroom apartments inhabited by quietly obnoxious bourgeois bohemians. Exemplifying that is this house on Grove Street that has an elaborate, peacock-themed holiday display on the exterior. What you can’t see in the photos are the yards of expensive iridescent fabric draped along the front fence and dotted with real feathers.

I’m not sure how I feel about this—it was striking, creative, and beautiful in its way, but the message seemed to be that they could outdo the neighbors with this show of ostentation. I bet the residents are the type who would rather die than purchase holiday decorations at Rite-Aid like the rest of us.

But still, lovely and weird!

4 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

Have we considered the possibility that the peacocks might actually live there?

Carrie M said...

Hm, that's interesting. They might have just been holding very, very still. Or have been frozen. Frozen fowl: the new decor!

The Cash Company said...

When I glanced at the first picture I thought there was a real peacock in the city. That would have been a lot cooler.

PassingPerception said...

I don't know how I ended up with two accounts. This is just a test to get back to the one I want.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness