Sunday, December 2, 2007

Overheard

While standing in a crowd of tourists admiring the holiday windows at Lord & Taylor on Fifth Avenue. Theme was "Christmas Around the World," and one window depicted a scene of Venice, Italy, with a gondolier on a canal, an arch bridge, and palazzos.

One woman behind me turns to her friend and says, "That looks like that hotel....The Venetian!"

Sigh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kind of scary, isn't it? I had a fifth grader tell me the other day she didn't have to remember the states and capitols because she had already taken the test. So sad. And we know she is the one who will start cranking out babies.

Brian Hurley said...

Vicki, that's funny because on Saturday night we were at the Brooklyn Museum and we sat down at a table with a paper tablecloth, and I started drawing a map of all fifty states with a black pen on the table, and everybody--Carolyn, Robert Repino, my sister Leslie, and some other friends--helped fill in all the states, their shapes, and the state capitols. So at least SOME PEOPLE remember their capitols, even if it takes like seven of us to finish a US map. Plus, we left the paper tablecloth lying there for the next people to come along, and I think we created the best piece of artwork in the museum.

Andy said...

Capital!

Though i suppose the capitol is pretty much always in the capital so it's not entirely inaccurate. And the Capitol (with a, ummm, capital C) is in Washington, DC.

Brian Hurley said...

Capital idea, Andy.

The Cash Company said...

If I posted on my blog every time I dealt with a totally ignorant person I would never have time for anything else. lol

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness