Can someone please explain to me the fascination New York women have with ludicrously expensive handbags?This week I’ve thrice seen women carrying Louis Vuitton and Coach purses, the ones with the ugly-as-all-get-out insignia patterns. I find this design hideous, and I can’t fathom why any woman would pay $500 to $1,000 for the honor of dangling such a thing from her elbow. It’s obviously intended as a sign to others in the know that the handbag wielder (or her husband) has the cash required for such a luxury item.

A moment ago, one of our editors received a Dooney & Burke shoulder bag and erupted into elated shrieks, which then cascaded down the row of cubicles as the news was passed along. Apparently this is a fancy, expensive brand of handbags that are very much sought after.
Well, blow me over with a feather. I’ll proudly wear my $20 purse from Target, thank you very much, and remain ignorant of this world of nonsensical fetishizing.
7 comments:
Good for you. It is a waste of money especially since most of their purses are ugly anyway.
I heard Louis Vuitton lines the insides of their bags with $100,000 dollar bills.
Ah, I see.
By the way Carolyn, I really like that tree photo on you front page. It reminds me of the movie poster for Tim Burton's "Big Fish".
http://www.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-12606/Big_Fish.html
Thrice? I think I have used that word maybe once in my whole life. Also, I, too, bought a hand bag recently. Gottshalks, leather, 60% off, very happy with my every 2 years purchase. Please, I know there is a word for "every 2 years" but if you tell me what it is I will just feel stupid.
Your biennial purchase?
Thanks a lot. I needed that.
Post a Comment