
Tod Martin pushes mud and debris out of the parking lot of the Western Royal Inn, where his wife is the manager. Martin is a logger, but cannot get to work because of the storm. Photo © The Oregonian.
Here's a nice quote from an AP story: "In Tillamook, Oregon, home to large dairy cattle herds, the smell of manure was pervasive as shopkeepers downtown shoveled mud out of their businesses."
Ick. What a mess.

Also, very sadly, among the thousands of trees downed by the hurricane-force winds in this storm was a giant, 700-year-old Sitka spruce that Brian and I stopped to appreciate two years ago. It was already dying a slow death, but this was the final blow. A nice obit for the tree can be found here. Here's the spruce in happier days:
And this is a neato storm tracker thingy.
3 comments:
That's the champion spruce that we saw on the way to Astoria, Oregon, where they filmed The Goonies and Kindergarten Cop. That was a good day.
Goodbye, champion spruce.
I saw (on your brother's blog) the pictures you got published... congratulations! I wanted to comment his blog, but something funny is happening and wordpress says I'm not logged in (despite the fact that I'm currently blogging on my wordpress site -- odd). In any case, I really like your brother's blog, and you got some great photos!
congrats!
Hope the flooding doesn't cause too much damage.
Hello people. Carolyn, that "neato storm tracker thingy" is cool. I hadn't seen that. You have more on your blog about the flooding here than I do and my business is in the middle of it. Brian, his wife, and Dave have been removing the mud from our parking lot and inside our buildings for the last few days.
I just now while writing this got more Mrs. Fields stuff from you. Thank you. I don't know what they are. They are big flat squares of stuff. The first ingredients are dark chocolate, chocolate liquor, sugar , and cocoa butter so I can't go wrong.
Hello Amy whoever you are. Thanks for looking at my site. Wordpress does not work like Blogger where once you are logged in you can comment anywhere. For Wordpress blogs you have to sign up for a blog and then sign in to each different blog. It would be cool to have a comment from someone new. Where is your blog?
Post a Comment