Ah, Monday, how quick you are to put an end to the leisurely hedonistic ways of my weekend. There is one thing keeping me from the doldrums on this dreary, overcast start to the week: the sound in my head of Rufus Wainwright’s voice singing “When You’re Smiling” and “Come Rain or Come Shine.” This weekend, when not attending warm, wonderful social engagements with my friends (thanks, all, for the great conversations and fun!), I was listening to the new live CD of Rufus Wainwright at Carnegie Hall recreating song-for-song a famous 1961 Judy Garland concert.I love this man. If he weren’t gay and if I were fabulous enough to deserve him, Brian might have to worry. (Or if Brian were gay, I might have to worry!) Rufus takes familiar tunes from the likes of Gershwin and Berlin and makes them totally his own, while respecting their stylistic and historical integrity. He gives everything to this performance, which, he says, he’s been dreaming about since he was a kid. His soaring vocals backed by a 36-piece orchestra take these songs to a whole new level—he simply sings the hell out of them. His rendition of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” brought me utterly to a standstill in my apartment and gave me real, actual chills. I think I might have to listen to it every night before I go to bed, just to remind myself of the beauty and sadness possible in the world.
I couldn’t help comparing Rufus, favorably, to the crooners who helped make these tunes famous…men such as Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. While they were content to snap along nonchalantly and dole out notes like they could care less, Rufus performs these songs like it’s the one thing he was put on the Earth to do. And perhaps it is.
This is the only authorized video I've found so far, and it's not the best song from the show. I'll keep looking. Meanwhile, if you’re coming to our party next Saturday, you will get the joy of hearing this CD. On repeat. All night long. Cheers!
3 comments:
Oh my God, dahhling, Rufus is absolutely FAHHHHBULOUS!!! How great was that concert we went to in Central Park? I am now ordering that CD - your blog post is inspiring. :D
I went and watched that video of Rufus (who I have never heard of).
Hmm.
He was ok but I could not help noticing that he was dressed exactly like Big Gay Al on the episode of South Park I watched last night.
Yes I am aware that I have no "culture".
Ha! No, it's fine. He's flaming and proud of it. That's not the greatest video. His own original stuff is simply amazing.
Post a Comment