Before we got all wrapped up in the presidential election, I had posted here of my absolute joy at having seen the new Broadway show “A Tale of Two Cities,” and of my profound appreciation for the performance of the lead actor, James Barbour.
I saw the musical two months ago in previews, and then it opened to widespread pans from the critics. (See my post on that here.) That, combined with the downward spiral of the economy, has led the producers to announce its premature closing next week. I find this to be very sad, and I feel sorry for the audiences who won’t get to see this wonderful, uplifting show.
James Barbour, who got largely stellar reviews, will go on to greater things, I’m sure. I got the chance to see the show again last night from the orchestra, and it touched me perhaps even more than before. (We also hovered with other fans outside the stage door so I could actually meet my schoolgirl-ish crush, and to my mind he didn’t seem his sparkling self after the recent depressing news. Obliging photo to be posted later.)
In case you haven’t seen it yet, here’s a clip of James performing his signature song, “I Can’t Recall” at Broadway on Broadway just before the show opened. For context, he plays an incorrigible drunk lawyer who has just fallen in love and seen the first ray of hope for redemption and a better life. (P.S. I was reminded last night just how much more moving this song is in the play itself, with starry skies appearing above him and following an emotional moment.)
Variety story about the abrupt closing
Playbill story about what the cast might do next
Official Site
I saw the musical two months ago in previews, and then it opened to widespread pans from the critics. (See my post on that here.) That, combined with the downward spiral of the economy, has led the producers to announce its premature closing next week. I find this to be very sad, and I feel sorry for the audiences who won’t get to see this wonderful, uplifting show.
James Barbour, who got largely stellar reviews, will go on to greater things, I’m sure. I got the chance to see the show again last night from the orchestra, and it touched me perhaps even more than before. (We also hovered with other fans outside the stage door so I could actually meet my schoolgirl-ish crush, and to my mind he didn’t seem his sparkling self after the recent depressing news. Obliging photo to be posted later.)
In case you haven’t seen it yet, here’s a clip of James performing his signature song, “I Can’t Recall” at Broadway on Broadway just before the show opened. For context, he plays an incorrigible drunk lawyer who has just fallen in love and seen the first ray of hope for redemption and a better life. (P.S. I was reminded last night just how much more moving this song is in the play itself, with starry skies appearing above him and following an emotional moment.)
Variety story about the abrupt closing
Playbill story about what the cast might do next
Official Site
4 comments:
Tale of two cities again? Geez Louise. There are other shows out there...what's up with Avenue Q? I heard that's great.
What am I, rich? I only go to free shows. You come pay $150 for a ticket to Broadway.
If Dreams Came True... this should would keep running all year.
There's Just No Honest Way... to make a living on Broadway anymore.
The Way It Ought To Be... is James Barbour rocking the house till eternity.
It Won't Be Long... till he's back on Broadway in something else.
Brian just won the Tony for worst incorporation of song titles into sentences.
Post a Comment