Thursday, November 13, 2008

We were so innocent (and sparkly) then

I’m as tired of 1980s nostalgia as all of you, but last night watching “Space Camp” (not my idea) reminded me of some things about that decade:

1. Women wore outrageously high-waisted pants and shorts, with crazy large pleats!

2. Americans taxpayers still believed the space program was worth the money.

3. The bad kids were always the ones with impossibly shiny and feathered blond hair.

4. Tate Donovan was just as smirky then as now, but then he had the possibility of a career ahead of him.

5. It was the utmost cool to wear five (Swatch) watches up one wrist.

6. Perms. More perms.

7. Tom Skerritt has played the same role in 99 films.

8. Americans thought artificial intelligence—in the form of walking, back-talking robots—was the cutest thing ever.

9. NASA wasted a lot of time doing things not nearly as cool as landing rovers on Mars.

10. A teenage boy in white cable-knit sweater, acid-washed jeans and topsiders = hott. With black, open-air Jeep = preppy, bad-boy hott.

11. Kate Capshaw always sucks. (See “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” for further proof.)

12. Whatever happened to Lea Thompson? I idolized her at this time (one year after “Back to the Future”!).

13. Joaquin Phoenix (credited as “Leaf” here) is eerily reminiscent of my brother who was the same age in 1986. Too bad J.P. has quit the movie biz. This is all we have to remember him by. Right?

14. Terry O’Quinn was not always bald.

15. Releasing a space-shuttle-disaster-(averted) movie six months after the Challenger explosion was probably not the best idea.

Check out this rad vid.




11 comments:

Shawna said...

Andie: Name?
Rudy: Rudy Tyler, Ma'am.
Andie: Spit it out, Rudy.
Rudy: RUDY TYLER, MA'AM!
Andie: I meant the gum, Rudy.

OMG, I haven't seen this movie in years... :) But looking back on it from an adult perspective, there was a critical flaw in the movie: how on earth would high schoolers be let anywhere near the real, multibillion-dollar shuttle, let alone inside it for a training drill?

And no, the mission roles aren't chosen arbitrarily like that; you're tested on what you know about the shuttle system and space, and highest scorer in your group gets first pick of roles. Of course, if it had been done that way in the movie, ditzy Tish might've been the commander.

Shawna said...

And holy cow, was that a young Joaquin Phoenix?? Never would've guessed it.

Carrie M said...

Well, obviously Shawna, the kids got to sit in the shuttle on the launchpad while just one of the boosters was ignited. Only due to the well-intentioned fiddling of Jinx the robot does the other booster ignite. I find the whole thing completely plausible.

(Here, italics = sarcasm.)

Oxford Commas said...

Is that Lamar from Revenge of the Nerds?

Carrie M said...

Totally! I tried to tell Brian that but he didn't care.

Brian Hurley said...

Yeah, well I recognized Terry O'Quinn after like 0.4 seconds of screen time, so I'm pretty cool, too.

Carrie M said...

True.

PassingPerception said...

Oh man did I want to go to space camp and be an astronaut. Still do really. I will be feeling nostalgic all day now.

http://www.spacecamp.com/details.php?cat=Space&program=Adult+Programs

I wanted to drive my shiny new black Toyota truck (from Back to the Future) TO space camp, fly through space, then come back and have adventures with my buddies like in Goonies.

Still do really.

PassingPerception said...

Anyone have a treasure map?

Brian Hurley said...

Steve, I have never agreed with you more.

Sunny said...

Lea Thompson grew up to be Caroline, in Caroline in the City. And since? I have no clue. I adored her too.

I, too, agree Steven.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness