… for equality.
The sun cleared for two hours in lower Manhattan Saturday afternoon for 4,000 New Yorkers to gather in protest of the recent curtailing of civil rights for LGBT citizens in California, Arizona, Florida, and Arkansas. We were part of a nationwide protest, with rallies taking place simultaneously in 300 cities across the country.
I will say the NYC crowd was probably tamer than those in some other places—it’s hard to get any 20- or 30-something in this city excited about fighting for marriage. That’s not really our scene. However! There were some great speeches by celebrities and civic leaders, as well as much hearty chanting, directed often at the passing double-decker busses full of tourists. (“Look, ma, angry gays!”) The fight continues.
Here are some of my super stellar photos. Shut up, it's hard to get shots of a protest when you're in the middle of it. I love some of the signs, though.


I love the kid in headphones on one of his dads' shoulders.

Protests are also a good place to meet people.

If this kid lived in Arkansas, he'd still be in an orphanage.

The sun cleared for two hours in lower Manhattan Saturday afternoon for 4,000 New Yorkers to gather in protest of the recent curtailing of civil rights for LGBT citizens in California, Arizona, Florida, and Arkansas. We were part of a nationwide protest, with rallies taking place simultaneously in 300 cities across the country.
I will say the NYC crowd was probably tamer than those in some other places—it’s hard to get any 20- or 30-something in this city excited about fighting for marriage. That’s not really our scene. However! There were some great speeches by celebrities and civic leaders, as well as much hearty chanting, directed often at the passing double-decker busses full of tourists. (“Look, ma, angry gays!”) The fight continues.
Here are some of my super stellar photos. Shut up, it's hard to get shots of a protest when you're in the middle of it. I love some of the signs, though.
Protests are also a good place to meet people.
If this kid lived in Arkansas, he'd still be in an orphanage.
Here's a photo I didn't take, just to show you the tour buses that kept cruising by. (Photo by by Max Talbot-Minkin/maxintosh on Flickr.)

7 comments:
That checklist is startling. I like it.
I still think the whole thing is silly and a non-issue. What is the point of a marriage license anyway? Is it supposed to be like permission from your government to be with someone you are already with? Do you really want that? It is ridiculous and not the purpose of government. I for one do not need that.
We should just cancel all government participation in personal relationships, including all tax breaks etc., and move on to the many more important issues we are facing.
I agree, Steven. But what we want is for everybody to have the OPTION to decide that marriage licenses are dumb and they don't want one. You have that choice. Same-sex couples do not.
"We saw the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, and tons of people marching for gay rights...though that last attraction wasn't on the brochure..."
A valid marriage license has various private and legal benefits from being able to receive coverage from a partner's health insurance plan to being able to visit your partner in the hospital. It's not just a government endorsement of a union.
That's true, Matt. I was trying not to get too much into it.
But there are 1,138 federal rights and benefits given only to married couples and not to same-sex unions (even in states where they can marry), including those in the areas of:
- Social Security benefits
- immigration law
- the Family and Medical Leave Act
- health insurance and continuation of health coverage (COBRA)
- Medicaid
- retirement plans
- veterans' benefits
- federal tax laws, and many more.
Plus (and, quite frankly, the most important) a free Kitchen Aide mixer from your registration!
Post a Comment