Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Aha!

I know many of us have talked about this, so I went to the source.

"People" (coworkers, friends, randoms on the elevator) keep saying they've "heard" (from other "people") that this winter will be colder and snowier. Than what? Than the previous two mild winters? Than normal? Than a future global-warming winter? It's not clear.

I'm tired of passing along baseless hearsay, so I consulted the 216-year-old oracle of all things weather related, the Old Farmer's Almanac. And guess what. Time to buy a balaclava.

Despite a mild November, this winter will be colder and snowier than normal, with near or above-normal precipitation. The coldest temperatures will occur in mid-December, early January, and early February. The snowiest periods will be in early and mid-December, early January, early and late February, and early March.
(I don't call 30-degree highs in mid-November, like today, "mild." But I'll give the trusty old book the benefit of the doubt.)

5 comments:

Brian Hurley said...

What's old about the Old Farmer's Almanac? Is the farmer old, or is the almanac old?

Carrie M said...

It's ambiguous. Good call.

Eric said...

Both are an old, dying breed taken over by corporations and scientific engineering (including, but not limited to, high school Ag. classes, meteorologists, and the Weather channel).

PassingPerception said...

Using all available data including, ocean buoys, ground stations, satellites, weather balloons, aircraft, and more, meteorologists run simulations using some of the most powerful supercomputers on earth. They say that with all of that and expert interpretations based on actual experience they can barely predict the weather five days ahead.

Eric said...

Or maybe they can predict it months in advance, but don't want everyone buying tix to NYC all for that one day in August when the weather "ain't so bad." Imagine the chaos!

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness