Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Christmaswatch '07 continues

I suppressed my fear of looking like a tourist and took photos on my walk to work this morning to decorate yesterday’s post, so please check that out. Also, I spied a new nativity scene at the Our Lady of Pompeii church. Sorry for the glare—sunlight is harsh at 8:45 a.m and I was in a hurry.



And in the category of festive-but-bordering-on-annoying Christmas indicators, the guy who’s always playing a marimba-sounding instrument* in the Pacific/Atlantic subway station this morning played “Jingle Bell Rock” followed by “Winter Wonderland.” How long until this gets really, really old while I’m waiting impatiently to change trains?

*And no, it’s not a marimba. It’s a big, metal, concave thing that he hits with a mallet. Anyone know what that’s called? I’m musically illiterate.

6 comments:

PassingPerception said...

Do you mean steeldrums?

Well before Halloween the florist across the street where I get my balloons for work already had their Christmas tree up. Two weeks ago they asked me if I was listening to the radio station with 24-our holiday music. Today they tried to invite me to a Christmas play at their church. They know I am atheist and I told them politely again today I am not a church person. They said "we are not church people either. We are GOD people"

sigh

I decided a long time ago this year to not celebrate Christmas anymore starting this year. I was planning on Festivus instead as inspired by my friend Jeff, but I finally looked it up and it has some odd "customs" and is not quite what I am looking for, although I was amused by the annual "airing of grievances part of it.

I may have to invent my own holiday. It will celebrate winter and loved ones and all the good things, but be more of a season than a day and for sure be free of divisive and ridiculous religion. It would also be nice to get away from the commercial side of things and being all about buying things.

Carrie M said...

Yes! A steeldrum, that's it!

This, I find hilarious: "we are not church people either. We are GOD people." Some people just don't understand.

I'm all for a secular Christmas. Food, presents, trees, and lights all have nothing to do with god. Yay!

A.Espinoza said...

Put me on your mailing list for a secular holiday. I had an evangelical teacher who insisted that he was not "religious" but rather had a "personal relationship" with Jesus (which is not religious somehow). So who invents (or feels the need to invent) these positions? It must be the PR problem Christianity has...

Andy said...

Hi Carolyn!

My sister can play the steeldrum I think. I miss steeldrums. I miss my sister. I miss everyone. I miss the snow, have you had any yet?

I love Christmas. It is my favorite holiday by far. I remember saying once that being a fan of Christmas doesn't make me pro-religion. It makes me pro-holiday.

Hi Carolyn!

PassingPerception said...

It snowed heavily for a while here in Forest Grove last night. It was beautiful.

Carrie M said...

Man, Steven, you are living more of an East Coast life than I am! First better leaf-changing colors and now snow? I should apparently move to Oregon for the good stuff. Damn.

 

From Peppermint Creek © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness